Pages

Friday, August 17, 2012

$5 Fruit Stand Friday


Today was the second time I tried this, and I'm hoping to make it at least a weekly occurrence. I visit a fruit stand on the street and purchase $5 worth of fruits and vegetables that can be easily eaten and bag it up. I carry it with me all day until I encounter a homeless person and then give the bag away.

It all started last week when I walked passed a young homeless guy (who looked to be around my age). Something inside me told me to help this kid. Rather than just giving him some pocket change, I crossed the street and stopped at a fruit stand and bought an apple, an orange, and a banana...totaling $1.75. I took the bag back across the street and handed it to him, and he looked up at me with the most grateful look on his face. I smiled, holding back tears, and wished him well...carrying on with the rest of my day. I turned back as I got across the street to see him take a bite of the banana.

That moment has stuck with me and so, today I tried it again. I passed a young woman sitting on the street with a sign that said 'homeless and hungry'. Bingo...sprang into action. Found a stand, bought two packages of baby carrots, two oranges, and two bananas. $3.50 is all it cost. And now I had two bags to help people with. I returned to the girl and offered her the bag. She took hold of it and patted my hand gently. Again, I wished her well and went on about my day.

I had one bag left. A few blocks later, I saw a middle-aged woman with grey dreadlocks sitting silently in the sun. I crossed to the center of Broadway and asked if I could offer her something to eat. She asked what I had, so I showed her the banana, the orange, and the baby carrots. She said she would take the banana and orange. Smiling a smile with many missing teeth, she said carrots would be too tough to eat.

Now, I had a bag of baby carrots left. When I passed another fruit stand, I plopped down another $1.10 for another banana and an orange. For under $5, I made my third bag of the day. I kept my eyes peeled, but didn't see another homeless person all day until I was headed home this evening. Another young woman was sitting under a phone booth near Columbus Circle. I handed her the bag, and wished her well, and headed home for the night.

I challenge you all to find a way to help the hungry. For $5, I fed three people today. You don't have to be rich to make a difference. Brighten someone's day, and I promise your heart will feel better too.

No comments:

Post a Comment